Wednesday, May 2, 2012

#21 Days 4 Sons – Day 2 Obedience

 

#21 Days 4 Sons  Day 2 - Obedience

“Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.  ‘Honor your father and mother’ (this is the first commandment with a promise), that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” –Ephesians 6:1-3

Moms, we MUST teach our sons to obey us. Obedience and submission to authority is a normal part of
life. For the rest of their days, our sons will have to submit to someone or something. Even if your son
becomes the CEO of the biggest, most powerful company (or country) in the world, he will still have to
answer to his Maker, God. Training them now to respect authority and submit to it sets them up for success
of the greatest kind. –Brooke L. McGlothlin, Warrior Prayers

Why Obedience is Important for Boys:

“Ladies, if your man cannot submit to Jesus, he cannot lead you. A man must be willing to be led before
he can truly lead.”

**Remember I said I would be praying these prayers over my son as well as my daughter’s future husbands,  I found it a God-incidence  that quote was included in the study today….

Obeying is not an option, it is a command.   I always tease my children that my favorite verse from the bible is Ephesians 6:1 “Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right”   (well I’m not teasing it is one of my favorites, how can you just pick one favorite verse?)   This verse is so encouraging that God has your back in parenting….He gave a command to children and backed it up with this is right.   When my children have their moments of questioning of “why” they have to do something…I quote this scripture and tell them…. because God said so, I didn’t make up the rules, I just obey them and they are to obey too :-)

Do you have a plan for teaching your children obedience? Or are you more of a ‘fly by the seat of your pants’ kind of a parent?

Ouch! That question kind of struck home with me?  I am all about discipline but I have to admit that I am totally a “fly by the seat of your pants” kind of a person.   This is the 2nd or 3rd time in one week that I have read/study scripture on obedience/discipline.  He is revealing to me that when I walk in obedience he will sort out all the disorder/chaos that comes with disobedience and that I need to be disciplined in my life in order to be obedient.   How can I expect my children to be disciplined and obedient, if I am “flying by the seat of my pants”.   I tend to fly by the seat of my pants with all the things we are involved in,  I’ve never thought about that flowing over into “my parenting” but I’m realizing that everything I do flows over into parenting as our children are a reflection of their parents.   Disciplining my children in my mind is you teach them on daily basis and when the situation arises you discipline them.    I have never thought about having a “Plan” for teaching obedience to my children?  Praise the Lord that his Grace and Mercies are new every day!  And that he can reveal areas that I need to ask for forgiveness and my short comings as a parent. 

“Lord, please soften my son’s heart and place the desire within him to obey his parents in the Lord, for
this is right. Help him to honor his father and mother, that it may go well with him and that he might live
long in the land. And help me to embrace a lifestyle of obedience, so that my life might be an example
to him. Give me a new vision for teaching and training my son in obedience. Amen.

April 2012 294

Exodus 20:4-6

New International Version (NIV)

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

*Lord, help me to walk in your Love and obedience to keep your commands so you will show love to future generations of our family,  In Jesus Name, Amen!

0 comments:

Holiday World

Family Fun