Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Little Things ~ Grateful for Color

"The Little Things" is a yearlong MemoryMixer project designed to inspire you to live a life full of gratitude.  I thought this was a wonderful idea and a great way to get me "comitted" to doing scrapbook pages on a concurrent basis.  This week on "The Little Things" blog one of the challenges was to find something that you were grateful for that was full of color.  I knew right away what I was going to do my page on....Grandma's Quilt.  I journaled on my page about it but I'm not sure you can see it so I'll do a recap of it here in my post.

My Grandma Heller had a tradition of making each  of her grandchildren a quilt when they graduated from high school.  I received my quilt when I was 11-years-old because grandma knew she was not going to live to see me graduate.   When I opened it and first saw it I didn't think it was very pretty because it was made of "scraps".  Then, upon looking further at the "scraps" I realized they were scraps from all the different pants, skirts, dresses, and pj's that my grandma had made for me and different family members!!  Now, 26 years later,  I AM GRATEFUL FOR ALL THE COLORS OF SCRAPS.  They remind me of the LOVE my grandmother had for me to make me such a special gift quilt with so many memories that I can sit and wrap up in and feel all the love I felt when I was a little girl.


That's all I had room to journal on the scrapbook page.  But I also wonder if Grandma realized that blanket would become a favorite to her 3 great-grandbabies too?  It's the blanket that we grab and use to wrap up when the kids are sick, it keeps them warm and comfortable...because the back side of the quilt is the softest, cozy, warm flannel material.  I'm truly grateful to have a "little thing" of a blanket that not only comforts me but also my 3 "little things"  I call children.  God is good!

This post is in memory of my Grandma, Gladys Heller.

2 comments:

Chelsa said...

great post!! i love the quilts from my great grandma's and grandmas too! they are also our favorites! actually i'm sitting here right now covered up on the couch w/ a quilt made by great grandma (my mom's grandma on her dad's side)! :)

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Oh my gosh.. I have goosebumps.. you see I have a nearly identical quilt.

My grandmother gave it to me as well when I graduated and as well it's made 100% of polyester scraps and I sure didn't love it when I opened it! But soon I recognized a 'pant-suit' oh yeah of the 70s ilk. And a dress... and another shirt... and... wow I realized how amazing it really was! I love my quilt...

I thought surely that was only something my grandma did!!

Thanks for the reminder!

I'm over from the little things blog... :)

Holiday World

Family Fun