Megan has had a lot of activity going on this past few weeks.
August 19 and 20 we spent the weekend at the Indiana State Fair Dog Show. This was her first time showing at the state fair level. We went last year and watched the competition but this year she was actually a part of it. Due to our cattle dog, Libby, passing away :-( Megan worked with her dog cousin, Max.
Megan showed Max, in Obedience, Agility, and showmanship. Here she is waiting with Max for her turn in Obedience.
Megan waiting for the judge to tell her what to do, this time it was “heel”, Max has to walk right along side of her off-leash, and stop and sit next to her, when the judge commands. Megan could only tell Max to heel once, and they have to do fast and slow walks in between all that . It is quite a task to achieve, but Megan and Max worked well together, and training took place long before the day of the dog show! I’m so proud of her!
Then they moved on to Agility course on Sunday. Max was quite distracted with all the squeaker toys and people around. Megan patiently worked with him, you are not to touch your dog at all. And Max was more into playing than wanting to sit on the table. But she finally got him to listen, even though, she so badly wanted to touch him and make him sit. Then Max did the rest of the course really well. You never know how the dog is going to act with 500 other dogs and 2500 spectators around.
After agility she had showmanship. This is where the judge, judges the person/trainer a.k.a. Megan. She did a fabulous job too, and worked hard, as a little girl sitting right in front of the fence had a water bottle and was making it make crackling noises, which just happens to be one of MAX’s FAVORITE things to play with! It really is a disadvantage to have ALL spectators right up close to the dogs, but that is just part of it, and you have to work and train harder to get the dogs to stay focused. We had a great time. And Megan had fun and is already preparing for next year.
As of this past Sunday night, she has a new puppy, Buddy, who is a red merle, Australian Shepherd. Can’t wait to see what these two can do together!
We also had a good time watching friends and family participate in the dog show also. Below is a picture of Megan & Max, Kurt B & Roper, and my nephew, Connor & Kobe. Connor received 17th place in obedience with Kobi, and Kurt & Roper cleaned house on the awards with 4th place obedience, 1st place in agility, and 22nd in showmanship! We were so proud of them all!
Now that dog show is complete with the State Fair being the last show until next year, Megan is concentrating on volleyball this year. She has been working very hard and is doing very well! She has always had such upper body strength and it is fun to see her put that to work on a volleyball. I remember when she was 18 months old, I had brought groceries in and sat 2, gallon milk jugs on the floor while I went to get more groceries. I came back in and her was super baby Megan carrying milk jugs to the refrigerator!
These are pictures from her game against North Knox, Which they won.
She has been playing every position. She has been setting, and a hitter mostly here lately. I think her major growth spurt hasn’t hurt any for volleyball either. We have enjoyed watching her play, I nearly had a heart attack watching her play in a tourney this weekend against Loogootee, They ended up winning the tourney in the 3rd game 15-13 but the game was back and forth the entire time. I was on the edge of my seat, and Natalie was telling me to calm down. I told her I could start cheering and yelling really loud like I do at the XC meets, but she advised that I shouldn’t do that! What can I say, I am the momma bear, who will always be looking out for her cubs! :-)
Megan & Her volleyball team (she is the tall blonde on the end of back row)
Tonight we are off for Natalie’s first Jr. High XC Meet!!




2 comments:
So proud of you Megan! Good luck in volleyball! You have a great start to the season!
Way to go Megan! What a good girl!
Post a Comment