Monday, November 21, 2011

Megan's homework curriculum.

You know we have a teenager in the house now.  Can't say I was more than thrilled to see this laying in front of my computer, left there by my firstborn,  with her handwritting below the article saying "Read this All" with an arrow pointing to the article.  Seriously,  Annoying Things Parents Do?  As if the curriculum needs to affirm that and empower them that she is correct in thinking her parents are annoying?  and the subtitle isn't much better,  "How to keep your cool when dealing with parental behavior"...really?  Dealing with Parental Behavior?   Last I checked "Parenting"  is our responsibility and God said  in  

Ephesians 6

1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”[a]
4 Fathers,[b] do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

The Bible commands children to "Honor" your father and mother, not "Deal with their parental behavior".   While I appreciate that the article was trying to get children to communicate with their parents about how they feel,  the article did mention that the parents were correct in their "behavior" if the child chose to continue poor choices.   The title was very disrespectful to parents as a whole.  In this world where far too many parents are pitching their parental duties aside,  those that are parenting their children to be disciplined and respect authority and walk with the Lord,  that is now called "annoying parental behavior".  Seriously,  no wonder there is a lack of respect for authority in this country.

I'm not upset with my firstborn, as I feel she was trying to communicate her feelings.   If she thinks our parenting is annoying to her, I'm OK with that too, because I'm not sure she really knows the definition of annoying, I mean I only spent 28 1/2 hours in labor with her, let me just say that was a little bit annoying!  (Just joking)  It was worth every minute.  She has a beautiful spirit and heart and love for the Lord.  I know it's not her desire to disobey.  My heartaches for all my children as they grow up in this world, but especially for her as she has entered these teenage years, it's as if she is stepped into the battlefield of all that the teenage years bring with it.  My prayer is that we have and continue to instill into her God's words and wisdom to help her shoot arrows at all that is being thrown at her and she will be able to stand firm and discern right from wrong.   It truly is a battlefield when so many are not being brought up with Bible guided discipline and if by world values that is considered Annoying well you can betcha I'm going to continue to be the most annoying parent around. 

Below is an online article that breaks down Esphesians 6:1-4 and recommend to all parents. 

http://bible-truth.org/msg184.html

0 comments:

Holiday World

Family Fun