Tuesday, November 17, 2009

2009 USATF Indiana Association Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships

Yes, we are still running! The weekend of the 7th, the girls and their cousin, Connor, all participated in the USA Track & Field Indiana Association Junior Olympics Cross Country Championships, held in Carmel, Indiana. We had a lot of fun. We went up Friday night and stayed at a hotel, which was fine once we got moved into an "official" non-smoking room. I hate when you get into a room that is supposed to be non-smoking and ends up being drenched in smoke smell! Anyway we were there just to sleep so once we got a fresher smelling room we all fell asleep fast to wake up bright and early to head to the race. Megan, Natalie, & Connor each ran in their own races since these races were based on their birth year.

Natalie ran a 3K with girls and boys ages born 1999 and 2000. She came in 12th overall and 3rd for the girls with a time 13:04. She was a little displeased with her time because she ran faster at that course earlier in the year...but she still did very well considering she had about a month off from any racing.
Connor ran with boys and girls ages born 2001 and later. Since he was in the younger age division he only had to run 1500 meters! Which he did awesome and was #3 runner overall, which also was a 3rd place finish for the boys since the top three were boys! His time was 6:39!! For those of you that know my brother, Kevin, I think Connor is a chip off the old block! He looks just like him in the pictures below! I was so proud of him...this was one of his first "BIG" races to run and I was so proud of him...I just cried watching him run! Anyone who knows me knows I'm a crier not b/c I'm sad but just overwhelmed with happiness and being so proud of him!! He put all his little heart and effort in his race especially for being just 8!

Megan's race was girls only ages born 1998 and 1997. She ended up finishing 33rd, but it was probably the worse race she has ran all year. I think she was a little lost with out her sister running in the same race. She has always ran, letting Natalie lead the way, knowing how to pace herself off of Natalie but this race she didn't have that and her head was just not quite in the race. But she still did well enough to qualify for the USA Track & Field Junior Olympic REGIONALS along with Natalie & Connor!!!! Oooo YA! That's right all three were in the top 40 of their races so now they get to run in the regionals, which will be Nov 28, 2009, which are being held in Terre Haute at the Laverne Gibson Course, which just happens to be the IHSAA State Cross Country Course! They are pretty stoked to get to run that course...that would be the equivalant of a basketball player getting to play at Conseco!!!! They are in major training with their Uncle Kevin right now! It is amazing what he can get out of the girls when it comes to running! He's so good with them! And they LOVE it and I LOVE cheering them on and watching them run!

Of course their other big guy cheering for them is there little brother Griffin!! I couldn't leave him out. He likes to yell for them but he is just 5 and does get a little impatient with waiting between races and for them to come back around after they pass by us...so he has really taken to writing since starting school so I've learned to let him take along a pap of paper and pen and he pretty much LOVES to write numbers, letters, and doodles. We had a really good time and looking forward the regionals!!

3 comments:

Guatmama said...

Love love love the new header! I saw Les on your way to take the pics.

Kelly said...

I love your new header picture, so cute!!
Congrats to your kiddos on doing so well with their races.

Chelsa said...

they have worked so hard- they really deserve this!! i'm sure they will loveeee running on the state course! how exciting!!

Holiday World

Family Fun