Tuesday, December 1, 2009

USA Track & Field REGIONAL XC Championships ~ Carmel, Indiana ~ 11.28.09

Saturday, 11-28-2009, Megan, Natalie, along with their cousin, Connor, all ran in the REGIONAL championships...originally...it was to be held at the Laverne Gibson course in Terre Haute, but the week before they switched the venue, to Carmel, Indiana course...the kids were a little bummed that they didn't get to run on that course but once they found out they were getting to stay in a hotel that had an indoor pool and hot tub, they were pretty excited.  Carrie & I did our annual BLACK FRIDAY shopping trip (see pic at bottom of post, not liking this new blog post format...not sure how to move my pics around???) So Les & Kevin took the kids to the hotel on Friday afternoon so they could swim and get to bed at a decent time and Carrie & I drove up later after shopping.  We arrived at the hotel about 11:15 p.m. I think we were both wiped out but very thankful to Kevin for scoring us such a NICE hotel for $25.00 a room via priceline!  The pillows, beds, and blankets were super soft and I slept like a baby...could have been I was going on only 3 hours of sleep anyway! LOL!  We woke up Saturday morning and headed out to the course.  Connor's race was first and he did GREAT!  He came in 3rd place but was EXTREMELY close to getting 2nd place, he was right on the boys heels!! I was so proud of him!!

Natalie's race was next!  She ran a really good race too!  She came in 4th but was actually leading the race at one point, I think she may have taken out a little too fast, but she managed to push the other girls and helped them run really good races too!  It was fun to hear the other "spectators" talking about watching out for the "Little girl in the blue" (which was my Natalie..hee..hee).  Her time was 13:18, not her best time but still good enough for 4th place.  And I was very proud of her for finishing the race strong!!
Megan was the last of the three to race!  Her HEAD was so into this race on Saturday!!! I was SUPER PROUD of her!! Coach Heller did a mighty fine job of getting her stoked and prepared for this race and she went out there and did EXACTLY what she was told to do!! She typically follows Natalie's lead in races so these races have been good for Megan to learn to "run her own race" and depend on herself and thats what she did, 100% Megan!  The LEVEL of competition really steps up a notch in Megan's age group and you can see the level of maturity and growth the girls go through in the 11 and 12 year old age group.  They are alot taller and stronger...Megan was on the younger end of this age group and when I looked at those 12-year-olds and think to myself....that's what my Mae-Mae is going to look like next year!????!!  well I'm sure she'll probably be passing me up in height and shoe size and makes me realize she is on her way to being a young lady!!  WOW!!  She finished 14th in her race with a time of 13:15, and was 3 seconds faster than her sister (thats a first of a race!) And I'm so THANKFUL for my two healthy, spit-fire, runner girls, and their good sportsmanship towards each other, I was a little worried that might upset, Natalie, but she without prompting congratulated her sister and said she was proud of her and even shared her prize awards with Megan (top 10 get ribbon-medal, water bottle, and ipod case)....Natalie said "Afterall she was the one with a faster time!! Awwwwwwwww  such a good moment for a Momma!!

Since both Megan & Natalie finished in the top 20, they BOTH QUALIFIED for NATIONALS!!! Whooop....Whooop!!!!  YAY for my girls!!!!  BUT we're not going.....awwwwwwww the let down.....The National race is in Reno, Nevada, which is too far away to travel in December. But next year's Nationals will be held in Alabama, which is much closer, so I told the girls maybe that would be a good goal for them to set for next year!  So I think they are already dreaming about that!

My brother, Kevin, with his clever thinking, got us a late check-out, so the kids could come back to shower at the hotel after the race, well....he rewared them by letting them have a quick soak in the hot tub and dip in the pool before their showers!!  No wonder they think He's the BEST!!   We had a great time and had lunch at Texas Roadhouse and headed back home via Hwy 37 thru down town...As we were driving down the Hwy 37 just North of Downtown Indy....(mind you it's a little run down and my girls have never been thru Indy, just around it,)  Megan says:  This looks like RADIATOR SPRINGS!  LOL!!  first I had to think what's Radiator Springs and I remember that's the ghost town in CARS! LOL!! It was so funny...but it did lead to a conversation on being thankful and that there are people that actually have to live there and God loves them just the same as us....

OK...so because I can't figure out exactly how to maneuver my pictures around...enjoy the rest of the pics from the race below..







The Shopping crew, Carrie, Chloe, Katelyn (new recruit), Leanne, Jessica, and Courtney....minus Me because I'm taking the picture, and Cassie b/c she had to go be the fry girl at work Friday afternoon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

loving your family picture header!

JessGraceIz said...

Way To Go, Girls!!! That is awesome, I always wished that I could run like that.

Grace was excited to see Griffin at the game (I think she likes him). I meant to come up there too, to talk with you too but I didn't make it up there. Maybe next game:)

Chelsa said...

how awesome for your girls!
:)
what a fun time!!

Holiday World

Family Fun