Saturday, April 19, 2008

Was that an Earthquake???

Les & Megan wide wake after the quake!

WOW! What a way to wake up! The walls were shakin and the earth was quakin! Les had just shut his alarm off and went down stairs to get ready to go do his chores and Megan has just wondered into our bed when we heard a very loud thundering sound, Megan and I sat straight up in bed and that's when I heard the house POP really loud, followed by cracking and a steady rumble. Megan was scared at first but we got up out of bed, and I said it's OK (trying to reassure myself) and at 5:30 a.m. all kinds of things go through your head, I thought either there has been an explosion at Crane, we occasionally hear blasts from there and every once in awhile see a mushroom cloud in the sky to go with it, so that wouldn't be out of the ordinary, and pretty sure I didn't hear a trumpet so the world wasn't coming to an end, so then while megan and I are coming down the stairs with things still rattling, I holler to Les "was that an earthquake?" So after things calmed down Megan thought it was pretty cool to have been awake and feel the house shakin! Les said the house wasn't shakin, it was Moving! Natalie and Griffin slept through the entire episode. I'm sure people in California are making fun of us, because this is nothing compared to what they are used too. But it just freaked me out a little! And then the aftershock around 11:00 a.m. was just as eery. I was typing doing my dictation and grabbed Griffin and he said "whats goin on mom?" I said the house is shaking, he said I can't feel it. He's so funny. I had told the girls before they went to school that sometimes there are after shocks so they could experience that while at school, but neither of them felt the aftershock at school. It doesn't take much to make this old farm house pop and creak, so it is probably more noticeable here than in the brick school building. Anyway, just thought I'd share our experience of the 2008 earthquake! And thank God it wasn't any bigger than it was! Just reminded me again of God's mighty power!

0 comments:

Holiday World

Family Fun