Yesterday, I took the girls to Bible Memory Camp. We had about 1 1/2 hour drive. The last 1/2 hour consists of over 100 curves (not joking, Natalie and I counted them last year!). And while we were on the last few miles Megan was reassuring me...."This is the right way mom, I remember seeing this area".....I guess she was afraid I was going to get lost because last year I passed up the turn off and had to turn around and come back. I had no problems at all this year and wasn't concerned about it....but she likes to tell me how to drive!! ha ha.
********
We arrived and I was so excited because both Natalie and Megan's counselors were there waiting on them. They introduced themselves and waited on them to sign in and walked with them to their rooms. They were so friendly. I was like.."thank you God, you are soo good!" Last year was my first time as "camper mom", I had no idea where and what I was suppose to be doing and there was no one really showing the way. And then we had a couple of not so good reports of some immature counselors that Megan had last year. So I've been praying that wouldn't happen this year. And already in the first 5 minutes that we were there, I knew it was going to be a good week for the girls. These young lady counselors were so accommodating to Megan & Natalie and were already really looking after them. Very reassuring for a mom who now has 2 girls on the loose without their mother there to take care them!!
*************
When Natalie came up to her room she was greeted by another counselor, who is a mom (just another Blessing!!) And all the other girls knew Natalie's name (even though they didn't know her). And they were like "Hi Natalie, here's where you will sleep right next to Sydney." (who we go to church with!) They were all like instant little girlfriends! I was so excited for her!***************
The below picture I took as I was leaving. This is what I last saw of my girls...Bibles in tow...headed to the main lodge...with Miss Olivia following close behind to take care and mentor them! Thank you Jesus for that rest assurred feeling I had when I was leaving and BIG SURPRISE.....No crying from me!! (for those who know me well, I know you can't believe, neither could I!)
It's hard for me to believe I have children old enough to go to camp...it doesn't seem that long ago when I was the camp counselor! In any event I am so excited for my girls to experience church camp. It was a major part of Les & I growing up and we absolutely loved it, he went to Bible Memory every year. I went to Camp Illiana, it was my safe haven, and my saving grace and where I learned more and more about Jesus and his love for everyone, especially me. Megan came back last year and her prayers were so much more mature and she had grown in her own spiritual life all the while having fun and making new friends! How awesome is that! I can't wait to hear the stories from my Two girls this year and so glad they get to share that together! Because camp was even better to be able to share it with your sister!! (speaking from experience!) I know it is something that will be a cherished memory to them always!




4 comments:
Well you may have not cried.....but I did reading your post. Glad it was so positive from the start. I sent a letter to each of them yesterday and Kaelyn wrote one for both of them together...so they will get 3 envelopes from us! That will be fun.
How funny, I was going to post the same thing as Lisa. I had to squeeze out a tear hearing about camp again. I went when I was the girls age too and just the thought of that place gives me goosebumps. It is an awesome atmosphere and I remember never wanting to leave!
Okay Susie...I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks...and this is driving me crazy trying to figure out who you are! I found you through Ashley G. My name is Laura Raber...I'm married to Matt Raber who used to work for 1st National Bank of Odon...I also "grew up" at Camp Illiana!! What was your maiden name and do you have a picture that I could see? Our blog is http://raberrewind.blogspot.com
Oh, Susie, I just LOVE camp too...and since I've been to both Bible Memory and Camp Illiana, I totally understand where you are coming from. Alex and I went 6 years in a row as counselors to BM and we've missed it the last 2 summers since Brynna was born.
Post a Comment