Saturday, July 26, 2008

Death of the Laptop!

I know if I would have saw this picture a week ago, I'd have no clue what in the world it was or it's significance. It's hard to imagine but that little 4 x 2 contains almost everything about my life on it!!! It's the hard drive from my lap top!! I went to turn my lap top on the other day and all that would happen is the blue power light would come on and then go right back off! Well after doing that 4 times I figured something is not right! I'm thinking maybe just bad power cord/battery. So I made several phones calls to find someone to come to my rescue because after all my QuickBooks for our turkey farm is on there, along with 2 years of photos and scrapbook pages, all my e-mail addresses, my snail mail address list, and alot of other miscellaneous stuff. I was starting to hit the panic button until my dear s.i.l., Lisa, gave me, my new hero...Tony Graber's name...he just recently moved back from Florida and computers are his specialty! So I got a hold of him and he told me I could bring it in right away. He was so speedy quick to call me the next day with the diagnosis....DDDDDDDaaaDummmmm....the motherboard is shot....and I'll have to get a new laptop! But the GOOD NEWS.....My hard drive was still good!!! Shewwwww...big relief! So Tony let me borrow this nifty coverter thingy (I'm sure he has a better name for it) So I could transfer it over to my desktop computer. So I bring it home and hook it to my computer and NOTHING was coming up on my computer! I'm starting to hit the panic button instead I call the Dr. Computer Hero, a.k.a. Tony...and he said to bring it back over and we'd figure it out!!! As I'm driving I'm thinking it is probably the Nice New Wonderful Windows Vista program (not!) that isn't compatible with the hard drive that was Windows XP....Sure enough that was the deal. So Tony let me use his computer for awhile...and transfer it over to a flash drive....until I realized when I went to copy my pictures and it came up time remaining 233 minutes!!!! YIKES! I think Tony was probably thinking you crazy lady why in the world would you not back up your pics! He never said that but that was what I was thinking about myself! So I did about 45 minutes worth and decided I would go invade my brother, kevin's family computer for the night! I was able to get it all stored on my 8 GB flash drive...it took every bit of it!! BTW...I do back up my QuickBooks...so that wasn't a big issue...except I had to finally sit down and install the new version on my desktop...which I've had for about a month now. But That was a success.

So the lessons I've learned through all this....I had good intentions on getting an external hard drive to save pictures on...but good intentions didn't get the job done and I could have just as easily have lost everything!! The past few weeks the laptop had been getting hot and just shutting down on it's own....Yes i know it was a warning sign and I see that now I just thought it was OK because it always started back up....and that isn't the reason the motherboard died..it was just a bad product that was made with the series of laptop that I purchased. Of course when I bought it the reviews were all good because it was NEW and had no problems yet...now I find out it is a lemon! So don't buy Toshiba satellite laptop!

And when I was laying down at night as I'm praying and my mind wonders I realized that my laptop dying drew a close comparison to Christ's 2nd coming....The bible says "he will come like a thief in the night"....My laptop crashed just the same. The Bible has scripture that clearly states what will be happening in the end times and will be warnings to fellow believers to be prepared. My laptop did give me warning signs but I chose to ignore them thinking they were not a big deal and with my procrastination in not getting the external hard drive I was unprepared!

I realized I don't want to be unprepared when Christ comes for his "Bride" and I don't want to ignore the warning signs that are around the world today and I want to live my life for Christ and see where he is working and join in his work to further God's Kingdom because One of these days He will come and there will be no nifty little converter thingy to transfer me to Heaven because of my procrastination. The Bible says "There is only one way to Heaven, no one comes to the father except through me!" And that is who I choose to follow Jesus Christ! I thank him for his Grace and mercy that he allowed me to learn this litte life lesson through the death of my lap top and my pics were saved!

I highly Recommend if you have any issues with your computer....Tony is awesome! You can check out his business website... A+ Computers.



And learn from my mistake....BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER!!!

2 comments:

Laura Raber said...

Amen sister!! I just did that on Saturday! I had about the same amount in pictures & music...so I burned CDs and deleted them from the laptop...the crazy thing was running so slow...it helped but I'm convinced that Vista is...well...it's not from our loving God, I'll put it that way! OH and the trampoline...AWESOME! That looks like sooo much fun!

Andrea said...

It is so awesome that you could take something so frustrating and hear what God was telling you. I really admire you and think you are doing a great job with your family. Keep serving!

Holiday World

Family Fun