We surprised the kids with a "Destination Unknown" Sunday night. Their 2nd Cousin, Taylor, from Florida arrived Sunday afternoon so she got to get in on the Destination Unknown too. We all packed into the Big Daddy Dodge and headed East on Hwy 50...and the kids kept trying to guess where we were going...the suspense was killing them! I loved it! So we arrived at our Destination.....The Holiday Drive-in in Mitchell, Indiana to watch Disney's G-Force! When we pulled in, we said we are here! Natalie said "What is this????" LOL!! Too funny she still didn't realize what we were doing so we had to explain it all to her but she then right away was pretty excited about it! They have the old time consession stand...which was AMAZING...it would be worth the drive just to go over there and eat supper there...The kids got hamburgers that were "REAL"...the buns were toasted and the burgers were the old time hand-pattied burgers...Natalie let me taste a bite of her's...it was Delicious! They have any kind of food you would expect to have gotten at the old drive-ins...even Lemonade Shake-ups, funnel cakes, ice cream, burgers, hot dogs, fish sandwhiches, tenderloins, Those HUGE pickles, etc...as well as the Popcorn and candy that goes along with the movies!! I had packed blankets and chairs so we had picnic in the bed of the truck! The kids thought it was great!!
The movie didn't start until dark, which was around 9:30 so the kids had time to play in the yard up front...they were playing tag and loving it! I remember the old drive-in theater on Hwy 50 between Washington and Montgomery...I saw the movie Popeye there and remember playing and doing the same thing...they used to have that little train out there at one time too...this theater didn't have a train but all the kids still had fun playing out in the open spaces.
Guess what else was at the drive-in.....A STATION WAGON!!
I about died laughing...like how often do you see station wagons anymore...I thought it was pretty appropriate for one to pull up in at the drive-in theater...I'm sure the parking lot was full of them in the 70s!! Griffin saw the people get out and open the back door, which for those of you who don't know...it opens like a door...he was so excited and said "OHHHH...that car is awesome!!" LOL!! When it finally got dark....thanks to EST.... was about bedtime...anyway...they started the movie out by playing the national anthem and showing pictures of the American Flag...I had about forgot that they used to always do that too...they also went through all the cartoon commercials of the animated food from the consession stands for advertisement...like the walking hot dog that does flips! (anyone else remember those).
Finally the movie was on the big screen....complete with a few bats flying by and viewing the stars while watching the movie.
Hard to believe in August we had to have sweat shirts and covered up with blankets...and the dew had started to set in by the end of the movie but it was just alot of fun and let the kids experience a little bit of yesteryears.
The girls ended up laying down in the truck bed and Natalie fell asleep towards the very end of the movie...as well as Les fell asleep too...but I thought it was a really cute movie, I'd give 2 thumbs up! I totally recommend the Drive-in for an off the path adventure...the kids still think it was pretty cool surprise! If you want more info on the drive-in, you can see the website here. It's only open on the weekends and Sunday they have a pay by the carload ($18), limit 6 people, but ended up being a better deal for us.
Italy Day 3 {Cinque Terre}
3 years ago




7 comments:
sounds awesome.. i used to go to that drive-in when I was in High School. Actually I forgot about it.. I bet Lillie would love it too.. Do they have a website, or how did you know what was playing?
What a great idea!
Oooohh! I loved the Drive-In too! There was one in Linton and we went all of the time when we were kids. The last time I went there was in college and then it closed. There is still a really nice one in Reo though...close to Newburgh. It's a 6 screen, so lots of movie options to choose from. We took Bridgette and my niece once when we lived down there. Love the station wagon too...lots of memories!
I couldn't get anyone to see G-Force with me! Was it good?
um, AWESOME!!! How cool! We will so have to go there :)
That sounds like so much fun! I will have to plan a trip for Nate and me to go!!!
we used to go to the drive in a lot when i was younger... the one down in reo. those were fun times! my mom and her best friend would take all us girls for chick flicks :) good memories!
Post a Comment