We've had a busy week! Here's a glimpse of some of what we were doing.

These are our turkeys that said good-bye on Wednesday night. The trucks came around 9:00 p.m. to start load-out. They took turkeys from both barns so Les got home 4:30 a.m. Its a long night. Good news our birds averaged 41 pounds!! Not the best flock but Les didn't think they were going to average that good. Me and the kids stopped by after Awana and Bible Memory to check out what was going on. We always tell the turkeys good bye as they leave on the trucks and tell them not to die and make big money for us!! They have about a 20 to 30 mile ride on those trucks before they reach the processing plant all squished in those crates, how they live is beyond me...so it really is our silent prayer, because each dead bird is loss of income!

Here is our butchering crew a.k.a. Grandpa Keith and Grandma Gwen! They are so wonderful, they set up and wait for any of the turkeys who die of a heart attack walking the length of the barn to get to the trucks. Have you ever noticed their bodies they are prime candidates for heart attacks, carrying all that upper body weight on those skinny little legs! Anyway Griffin begged to stay to watch them "jerger" a turkey...thats his word for butcher...he can never remember the word butcher so thats the word he replaces for butcher. I crack up every time I hear him say that. He even changes the tense of the word to "jergering". He was so proud to get to fill the buckets with water but all the birds did really well loading and I think Keith and Gwen only butchered 2 or 3 birds the whole night. And the kids had to get to bed so they didn't get to see those being jergered! ha ha.

Of course there was lots of field work going on this week! The guys got half of their field corn planted and Griffin thought that he needed to get out there and help with his own tractor!

The girls have been getting mowing lessons the past couple of weeks and both are doing a GREAT Job!

With my past history of mowing lawns since I was 6-years-old (my family had a lawn mowing business, for those of you who don't know) I'm quite particular to having straight lines in the yard after it is mowed. I think for being first time mowers they did a good job! Yes, those of you, who know me, know I was about to cry watching my girls on those mowers! They are growing up so fast and making me a proud momma! We only have two mowers so they both are begging to mow the lawn. I usually mow around all the trees and back yard, then they do the open areas. Griffin drives his little John Deere tractor around the yard and thinks he is mowing too! Hince the name "three ring circus"!

0 comments:
Post a Comment