Saturday, May 9, 2009

Megan & Libby the new dynamic duo!


Megan is going to be showing our Old farm dog, Libby, in 4-H this year. Libby is close to 12-years-old and I wasn't sure how she would act with the other dogs because if a strange dog happens upon our property she will bark up a storm. And the old saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" well that is absolutely not true for Libby...she is still a smart dog even as old as she is. Thursday, was the first time Megan took her to the Dog Club to work with her and I was absolutely amazed!! For being her first time there...she did everything Megan commanded her to do...of course sometimes she had to be given some extra instruction and help from Megan and aside from snapping at my nephew, Connor's dog, Kobi, the one time....she did very good!

Connor showed his dog, Kobi, in mini 4-H last year so he is the "pro" and the one who talked Megan into showing Libby. He was here last weekend so they decided to give Libby a bath. I'm sure poor old Libby Dog is wondering why after 12 years she is now all of the sudden getting her spa treatments done weekly and also taking weekly trips in the back of the big daddy Dodge? She doesn't really care for riding in the truck because every time she has rode in one she has been taken to the Vet. Also this week we took her to be fitted for a collar and leash as there are certain requirements for that and I have no idea what I am doing so I was taking advice from Andrea, the dog trainer, who I happened to go to college with and her daughter goes to preschool with Griffin, how nice is that and she is amazing with dogs! Anyway when we were leaving her place, Les had put Libby in the back of the truck and shut her foot in the tailgate!!! UGH! So now this was two days before she was to take her to dog club and she is limping on her paw! I thought they are going to think we are crazy bringing in an old cow chasing farm dog with a bum leg! And wouldn't you know Libby didn't even once limp on her foot down there!! and as soon as we brought her home she started limping and has continued to limp on it...she must have known she was "on show"! ha ha.

Another funny thing that happened twice this week with Libby. When Libby was out at Andrea's place and also when we first got to the Dog Club she was nervous because of all the other dogs around...Libby came wimpering over to me just like one of my kids would do if they were scared! I thought that was so funny because she is more with Les and the guys on the farm...but it was like she "knew" I was the momma around here and I would keep her safe! Too funny! And of course my maternal insticts have kicked in and worrying about all the what-if's that could happen to her here on the farm and she also has a small tumor on her back side that she is having removed under anesthesia next Friday and I worry something will happen to her and then Megan won't be able to show her. All things I didn't have to worry about her when she was just the farm dog! ha ha. Megan is really having fun with her and works with her a little every day and is really looking forward to it. So hopefully everything will work out OK and July will be here before we know it and then I will be wondering why I was ever worried in the first place. So wish us luck in this new "dog showing" endeavor we are undertaking!!

2 comments:

Kevin & Leanne said...

Megan Good luck! (I'm saying good luck instead of break a leg because Libby might take that too literally) I showed Jack for 4-h last year and he came in 3rd place for his first year! So I'm sure you and Libby will do AWESOME! Jack was nervous around the other dogs to and he still is but not as much. if you need any tips you can call me. (or Conner) Again Good Luck (but PLEASE don't break a leg!!) :D ;P

Kevin & Leanne said...

the comment above was From Jessica I keep forgetting to sign my name

Holiday World

Family Fun