Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Green Beans with Grandma!

Saturday Grandma Gwen called and said someone offered us green beans from their garden but we had to come pick them. So out of bed I got the kids and off we went...we wanted to get an early start before the darn ole pesky biting gnats started swarming, which we managed PTL! We picked two 5 gallon buckets full and then we went back to her house to stem, clean, break, and can them. Grandma Gwen's green beans are the best in the entire world, nothing compares to her canned green beans. My kids will even eat them cold right out the jar just like candy! The kids got right in and helped with only a few pouts between who was going to use which bucket and someone afraid they were getting slighted out of doing something!


(can you see in the picture who is giving out instructions?)

We ended up with 14 quarts for now, we'll have more as summer progresses so this was just a start. The kids have been blessed with the most wonderful grandma and she enjoys teaching them life skills and lessons and my kids soak up every minute of it! I, of course, learn along the way too.

Maybe one of these days I'll get brave and attempt using that big ole' pressure cooker, I'm so scared I'll make it explode! Until then I'll just pick them, prepare them, and clean up while she runs that beast of kitchen tool!

And after all the jars were prepared, Grandma rewarded them by letting them make their own little ice cream cones. She's so good to them! We love her to pieces! Grandma also fixed us a yummy lunch of fresh green beans, new potatoes, and her cucumber and onion salad, along with some bacon! There's nothing better than a fresh garden meal! YUMMY!


0 comments:

Holiday World

Family Fun