Tuesday, June 17, 2008

We share EVERYTHING!

When you have more than one person in a family you will share everything including GERMS!

Actually Les is the one who has been so nice to share it with the rest of us. Must of been all those Father's day kisses and hugs! He has been dealing with what we thought was sinuses from all dust from turkey barns, hay fields, corn fields, etc...So he finally broke down and went to the doctor last thursday and diagnosed with strep, he's only been dealing with this for six weeks before going to a doctor, just like a man.
Well I woke up yesterday with no voice...I know, I know me without a voice and unable to ramble and talk...good thing I have this blog! I being the momma of this house decided I wasn't going to wait 6 weeks and make sure I didn't have the strep too...so off to the doctor I go this afternoon to find my voice as Griffin explained it.
We saw the NP, who was great. She said this is what we are going to do (since I had all three children with me) she lined us all up on the exam table (yes it was a little squishy but manageable and the kids thought it was fun!) And she just went down the line checking us all out...well guess what 3 out of 4 have the strep!!! Natalie, my apple a day girl and has no tonsils is the lucky with no strep!! The appointment was only for me but I'm so glad she was proactive to check the kids while we were all there. She said she has alot of families that just keep passing it back and forth and can't get over it because of that. And my poor Griffin is post ear drum rupture, but he has never complained but she said it was probably a slow leak but he had blood inside his ear from that. What a terrible mother I am...He said one day last week that his ear hurt but that was the end of it no fussing or crying, I just assumed he may have had a little water in it because we had been swimming. NP decided I should have a shot since I had no voice and lots of swelling in my throat and being mother of 3 she said trying to take care of them...I would end up straining it even more. So that was funny, Megan decided she couldn't be in the room for that, so her and Griffin took a walk to the children's book room in the waiting room, and Natalie my little nurse, stayed to take care of her mommy! Really it was just a tiny shot that I barely felt but about 10 minutes later I could feel the medicine stinging a little as it went through my veins.
So after that me and the kids headed off to Wal-mart... because you know they have the $4 Rx list. Well who would have known they would be extremely busy at 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon...They told us 20 minutes...so I thought fine I need to pick up some things anyway. We did our shopping and gave them extra time and came back only to find a line of like 7 people in front of us...so I told the kids we would check out our regular wal-mart goodies first...we headed over there only to find 4 lanes open out of 20+ and 2 of the lanes were express lanes, which of course I hardly ever qualify for the express lane with the groceries to feed my little piggies. So we go pick the check out that had only two people in it and I literally stood in line for 20 minutes. I knew the 2 people in front of me had quite a bit of things but then the Flashing light comes on for price check and then the checker somehow froze up cash register. So we finally get to our turn and bless her heart she is a mommy of a 3-year-old and brand new 8-week-0ld baby and she just came back to work and the girls have two different fathers, and the one father told the other older girl her mom and step-dad didn't love her anymore since they have a new baby and all the new baby wants to do is be held, and finally now they are getting her back in a routine and the big sister finally knows here birthday is Jan 14 and is learning her subtraction, etc..... I really do feel for her because I know those are hard days and was trying to be compassionate but I thought I've got popsicles melting!!! and it is 3:45 and we have to be at Odon by 4:30 for gymnastics!!! AHHHHH.
So I'm optimistic that surely the line is gone at the pharmacy...but all of my positive thinking didn't work..there was still a line but this time only 5 people! So I wait patiently another 20 minutes for the Rx's. If we didn't live 16 miles away I would have just stopped back by and to get them.... so I endured the wait...Griffin found some little boys to talk to whose mom was also waiting, and Natalie and Megan went to the bathroom and checked their Blood pressures while we waited...(all the while popsicles are melting!) So finally we leave 4:05 after making a deposit at the pharmacy for all our meds.
Now I'm thinking there is no way I'm going to get our poor melting popsicles to Loogootee and my girls to gymnastics in Odon in 25 minutes. So thank goodness my brother lives right on Hwy 50...so we made quick pit stop and threw our frozen/fridg goods in their freezer and off to Gymnastics via Odon/Cannelburg road...dodging buggies along they way and only manged to be 10 minutes late! The story of my life...no matter how hard I try something always causes me to be 10 minutes late!
Heres our remedy to being healthy again!
1. Medicine

So here is our cash cow from the pharmacy. Megan and Griffin really don't act sick, megan has complained of a little bit of a headache, so I'm sure we have caught it early. I gave Griffin his dose of meds and he said "Do I have something yucky growing in my throat?" Thats what I had told him was wrong with Les. I've been trying to explain to him that germs are everywhere and he needs to keep his hands and fingers out of his mouth...thinking maybe that will prompt him to quit sucking his finger! We'll see. PTL two of our meds qualified for the $4 list and others were generic and the Nice NP gave us some samples! Always love that! So it wasn't as much as I thought it might have been!

2. Comfort food, tomato soup in our house can make anyone feel better!

3. Airborne

After hearing my, niece, Courtney, tell me how well this worked for her college dorm friends when they had something come on, this. I thought what the hay...we'll give it a try. I pumped my kids with this once a day during the winter months of the school year and none of them got sick. Natalie even had perfect attendance this year! And of course now I've not given any to them since being out of school. It's not a cure all but I think if you know something is going around and your going to be around alot of kids (all of them are germ magnets) I'd start giving it to them. It's a mixture of vitamins and minerals. Works for us. I'm not gauranteeing for you but it may be worth a try.

4. Popsicles

You can never go wrong with popsicles and I figure if we have sore throats the cold will help relieve that and if not it tastes good anyway!

5. Edy's Dibs!

This is Natalie's reward for staying healthy!! I couldn't leave her out. And you know she loves her chocolate so she went for the little dib's vanilla ice cream nuggets covered with chocolate.

In a few days hopefully we'll all be back on the road to recovery...I'll just be putting my nurse hat on for the next 10 days administering 3 doses a day to everyone except Natalie! I might make her the nurse. We all have to be well because we are due to get baby turkeys next Tuesday. Has anyone else ever had a Wal-mart day like that?? OH BTW....the popsicles didn't experience too much melting trauma through the whole process! ha ha

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez--- only EVERY time I am at Wal Mart. I don't understand why they can't just make sure that more lanes are open that time of day! Sorry that everyone is sick....we are going to stay away for a few days--- I would hate for kaelyn to get sick b4 we leave for OH on Saturday.

Holiday World

Family Fun